In treatment of gum diseases, when a conservative approach is not effective enough, an exodontist may decide to use surgical techniques. Surgical approach of treating periodontal disease contributes to effective results in matters of recession, periodontal disease and gingivitis. Despite a rapid development of periodontology, specialists in this field still cannot identify the true reason of bone pockets, alveolar bone atrophy and other diseases occurrence. Most of these diseases can be treated only surgically.
Specialists of the clinic “Smile Studio”, located on the Left Bank, have extensive experience in performing periodontal operations. We outline several reasons for surgical intervention on periodontal tissues.
Indication for surgical treatment of periodontal diseases
Surgical treatment of periodontal disease is used when a conservative therapy does not produce results, and dentogingival and periodontal pockets enlarge and get inflamed. In this case the operation is considered as the only option to eliminate chronic or inflamed odontogenic site of infection.
Another indication for surgical intervention on parodontium is degenerative bone tissue. Using special methods a periodentist stimulates reparative osteogenesis and performs bone grafting.
The third direction of periodontal surgery is frenuloplasty (tie plastic), bands excision and formation of oral vestibule (recessed vault).
COMMON PERIODONTAL PROCEDURES
- Surgical curettage or cleaning of periodontal pockets. Providing access to the upper part of the root and alveolar bone to eliminate deep contaminated plaque, microbial substances from the root surface. Thus, root teeth inflammation is eliminated which provides full access to its superficial part to further recovery.
- Transformation of the bone structure. Bone tissue atrophy changes the shape of parodontium which contributes to the accumulation of harmful deposits and microorganisms. Wireless X-ray Apixia allows dentists to take pictures in the most remote places. That makes the plan of bone correction with the highest accuracy. Safe light helps you determine degenerative bone tissue even at the initial stages.
- Elimination of periodontal pockets. The main purpose of this procedure is aimed at stabilizing the depth of periodontal pockets up to the maximum allowable degree.
When removing periodontal pockets our specialists use surgical curettage or flap surgery. In advanced cases, bone transplantation can be performed.
SURGICAL CURETTAGE – DESCRIPTION OF THE PROCEDURE OF GINGIVAL POCKETS CLOSURE
If the diagnostics identifies the size of gum pockets between 3 and 5 mm, dentists use a method of open curettage. This is quite a simple procedure.
Stages of realization:
- Examination of gums. The use of local anesthesia
- Cleaning of the periodontal pocket without gum dissection
- Polishing teeth roots as well as visible parts of the teeth row
The method of closed curettage is to remove dangerous areas of overgrown tissue of periodontal pockets and to eliminate dental plaque below the gumline using curettes – special tools which remove granulations split by ultrasound. This procedure does not affect the integrity of the gum. Before its implementation dentists use painless computer anesthesia STA and other technique of pain relief. The tooth root is cleaned, periodontal pockets are treated with special antiseptic agents. If necessary, a periodontist may also prescribe special treatment using Vector appliance.
FLAP SURGERY ON GUMS – THE COURSE OF ACTION
Flap surgery treatment contributes to providing access to the teeth root as well as thorough cleaning of the periodontal pocket from both inside and outside. A periodontist performs several vertical cuts of the gum, and then he makes detachment of mucoperiosteal flap which leads to exposure of tooth roots. Then the dentist performs elimination of dental plaque, cleans the bone pocket and corrects bone shape. If necessary, the doctor applies synthetic bone material on the damaged area which compensates the bone loss. The gum is sutured and takes healthy appearance right after healing.
Modern European equipment with soft orthopedic chairs, which take shape of the body, allows the patient to feel comfortable during the operation.
PERIODONTAL BONE GRAFTING – A CHANCE TO REGAIN FULL FUNCTIONALITY OF THE TEETH ROW
In case of affected bone tissue, performing tooth retention function, dentists use bone grafting.
Bone graft can in some cases perform tooth fixation. Sometimes periodontists use it as a fundament of gum bone tissue. This technology is called guided bone regeneration. In this case, periodontium with regenerating bone are fenced with a membrane creating protection. Tissue growth stops, except for the jaw bone in the desired zone. Modern tools and equipment allow specialists of the clinic to achieve a perfect fitting to the bone graft, starting the process of osseointegration.
Surgical periodontics in the clinic “Smile Studio” on the Left Bank can restore lost bone tissue, strengthen teeth, extending their vitality even in advanced cases.