WHY WEARING RETAINERS AFTER BRACKETS?
In order to correct the dentition and bite in modern dentistry there are various types of bracket-systems. Retainers are needed after removing brackets. This system is necessary to consolidate the results of corrected occlusion and prevent the possibility of further malocclusion.
RETAINERS – WHAT THEY ARE AND WHAT THEY DO
Retainer is set to maintain the dentition in the right position. After installation of bracket-system begins the process of bone tissue rebuilding which duration is individual for each patient. Without their installation the procedure of bite correction may not bring results, so expected by the patient.
TYPES AND SELECTION CRITERIA IN EACH INDIVIDUAL CASE
Depending on the material and shape there are two kinds of retainers:
- Removable constructions are represented by two orthodontic systems. The first is a metal bracket that surrounds the teeth with a stiff wire and prevents their displacement. The second system is a transparent cap which is distinguished by aesthetics and durability. Such retainer is made exactly according to the individual characteristics of the dentition structure and is almost imperceptible when wearing. Manufacturing of removable retainers is based on the patient’s impression and X-ray.
- Non-removable constructions, made of medical steel, cannot be removed independently. They are solid and absolutely safe. This is a construction made of a thin wire which is attached to the inner surface of the tooth with a special material. Before its installation dentists carry out cleaning of the oral cavity. The term of retention period usually takes two times longer than the time spent on correcting the bite.
BASIC RULES FOR RETAINER CARE – GUARANTEE OF EXCELLENT RESULTS AND HEALTHY TEETH
In this respect, wearing of such constructions requires care and maintenance of oral hygiene:
- Before eating and bathing removable orthodontic device must be removed. It can be cleaned with a special brush and paste, then is should be placed in a special box.
- To keep non-removable systems clean dentists recommend regular cleaning the mouth with a toothbrush and other special tools, in particular, irrigator which eliminates the accumulation of food residues, even in the most remote places.
- After cleaning the retainer it is necessary to clean the oral cavity using special solutions, rinses or herbal infusions of chamomile and calendula. These agents not only reduce inflammation and soothe soft tissues, but also remove plaque on teeth surface.
- In case of constant wearing of retainers, doctors recommend to undergo regular professional dental cleaning.
- After retainers are fixed, the doctor should monitor their condition and determine the terms of wearing the system.
- If the retainer comes off, then the patient should not delay the visit to the dentist
Retainers are the only reliable way to save the results of bite correction. Therefore, specialists of the clinic “Smile Studio” on the Left Bank strongly recommend installing them immediately after brackets removal.